Looking at Leadership Lessons, etc.

Dead Guys Talking - Join the Conversation!

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Golf Builds Character(s)

     For some reason, golf seems good for a Saturday. Maybe Saturday will be for sports stuff. Golf is a favorite, though my experience is well described by Rick O'Reilly, gifted sports writer. I started when I was young (12) for no particular reason. I did not have access to play but the idea of hitting a stationary ball seemed easier than hitting a moving ball - which I could not do, though tried hard.  So, golf stuck. It stuck even when I really stunk - I was deceived. It stuck when other equally bad friends started. This provided much humor which made the frustration easier to take. Perseverance proved profitable though, I hasten to add, I can completely lose all ability in a one day period. Why? I have no idea. So, first, a good working explanation of the pain golf inflicts on those who play; then thoughts from a man who is much more than the wit represented here - read more about him in vintage Sports Illustrated articles and his own page. (No offense to Mr. Rodriguez - he is still with us)


     Golf is the cruelest game, because eventually it will drag you out in front of the whole school, take your lunch money and slap you around.  ~Rick Reilly, "Master Strokes," Sports Illustrated

 Chi Chi's Matador Dance

“I'm getting so old, I don't even buy green bananas anymore.” Chi Chi Rodriguez

“When Lee and Jack win, it is good for golf. When I win, it is better.” Chi Chi Rodriguez

 "Sure, I'm making a lot of money now, but years ago the IRS would send me get-well cards." Chi Chi

 "I've heard people say putting is 50 percent technique and 50 percent mental. I really believe it is 50 percent technique and 90 percent positive thinking. See, but that adds up to 140 percent, which is why nobody is 100 percent sure how to putt."  Chi Chi

I'm playing like Tarzan - but scoring like Jane. Chi Chi


Do you play? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment